The Steering Committee is composed of representatives of the Member States contributing to the joint action and of the European Commission. Members of the Steering Committee may appoint researchers on development policies to support and participate in the deliberations of the Steering Committee.
The Steering Committee will provide leadership and vision. Its main responsibilities are:
- to decide on the choice of the themes for the ERD;
- to agree on the orientations of the ERD and to review the quality of the outputs of the joint initiative;
- to appoint Sub-Committees (Task Force) for ad-hoc tasks;
- to steer and monitor the work of the ERD Team in charge of the conception, the drafting and the editing of the ERD;
- to propose and follow initiatives aiming at ensuring that the ERD process also contributes to a more united European research on development;
- to ensure that the final report is relevant for EU's policies as well as action-oriented, and to authorise its publication.
The Steering Committee will regularly monitor and confirm the strategic direction of the project. It will receive and approve reports and plans from the Contractor’s project director.